Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ode to other mothers

As Emmett gets more mobile (14 months now), I find it harder to keep up with this blog and my Facebook account. Classes end at Bowdoin College on May 6th; I have student course opinion forms to manage and parties to plan. When I get home with Emmett, Eugene and I have diner to make (I'm on a falafel kick) and a bedtime routine to reinvent. By the time Em is asleep, I'm pooped. But I have nothing to juggle compared to Megan M in Texas (3 boys), Alex S in Portland, ME (new mom to triplets), and Sarah M in Massachusetts (3 kids and working on her Ph. D. full-time). Now Sarah's blog includes what she is reading at the time. She's a voracious reader; was even when we were roommates in college.

In honor of Sarah, I provide her with the CAMPAIGN FOR THE AMERICAN READER blog for inspiration. Some day soon she will have read everything on the Pulitzer Prize list. It is inevitable.

What has been on my night stand lately is Good Night Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann, The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp, Picasso by Norman Mailer, The Nursing Mother's Guide to Weaning by Kathleen Huggins, and the latest issue of Real Simple magazine (a guilty pleasure). And I have to recommend The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. I've also been talking a lot about Wandering Home: A Long Walk Across America's Most Hopeful Landscape:Vermont's Champlain Valley and New York's Adirondacks by Bill McKibbon, which I read a bit ago. Well there you have it Sarah. If you have any books to recommend, let me know.

Over and out - Catey

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Hey Catey, love the new look, you and Sarah make me feel guilty that I don't do more blogging, come to think of it the last entry was the day Obama won. I guess 100 days on would warrant an entry...
Emmett looks great. Hot on book wishlist is the new book by Shadow of the Wind author Zafon (out in June, that should keep me busy til the new Harry Potter movie comes out!). Miss you

Unknown said...

Great recommendations, Catey - I'm adding them to my list.

P.S. We love Goodnight Gorilla and read it almost every night!

Unknown said...

miss you!!

xxoo
meghan